The core services, as exemplified by the broad specialties in Medicine and Surgery serve patients from a wide catchment area. Each year, Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Hospital treats more than five lakh adult and children – an endeavor ably affected, thanks to the highly qualified, motivated and dedicated professionals, motivated team of physicians, surgeons, nurses, assistants, and fully equipped well maintained departments.
- The out-patient services on an average handle approximately 3500 number of patients
- Housing 1200 in-patient beds, the general wards are spacious, adequately ventilated, clean and illuminated. The occupancy rate is presently at about 85%.
- The hospital provides casualty and emergency medical services round the clock, ably supported by fully-equipped ambulance services.
- A 24-hour blood bank is in a state of readiness and alert and is certainly poised to develop into a full-fledged department of transfusion medicine.
- Several minor and major surgical procedures are performed in a number of state-of-the-art operation theatres. Closed-circuit televisions (CCTVs) are installed at vantage points for medical students to view many an operative procedure from outside the operation theatres.
- Our intensive care units are equipped with essential critical care equipments and cater to the special needs of critically ill patients.
- Lab, spiral CT, MRI, fully automated random access blood chemistry analyzer, automated chemiluminescence analyzer, computerized RCG, and a flexible fibreoptic bronchoscopy unit. A Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS) further augments the services offered at the Radiology department.
- Haemodialysis, neonatal ventilators, PUVA photochemotherapy, biofeedback, and sinus endoscopy procedures are part of the therapeutic armamentarium.
Master Health check-up and extension services
MGMCRI hospital houses a well infrastructured and fully air-conditioned Master Health Check-Up Centre for promulgating optimum Patient Care, besides offering a wide range of affordable packages covering routine Blood Urine Tests, E.C.G, X-Ray, Treadmill, Pulmonary Function Tests, Ultrasonography with Colour Doppler, CT and MRI facilities. Our qualified and well trained technical personnel ensure that each of the cases is handled meticulously and with a caring touch in order to provide the most reliable results in record turnaround time. Stringent Quality Control forms an integral part of all laboratory procedures and both internal Quality control and External quality assessment are in place as regards the service departments, viz., Biochemistry and Microbiology. In addition to the above-mentioned facets, we are proud to state that the hospital of MGMCRI has entered into MoUs with premier Public and Private sectors. Besides earning revenue for MGMCRI, these MoUs enhance the visibility of the institute further and aids in holistic perception.
Our core medical services are backed by able, streamlined and efficient auxiliary services. The Hospital Information System (HIS)provides solutions in order to provide reliable, rapid and accountable management of day to day endeavors. The Medical Records Department is fully computerized, fast, resourceful and competent. The Pharmacy centers at MGMCRI are well-stocked thereby ensuring that the patients procure the prescribed medications essentially within the campus at rates that are highly competitive and subsidized, in comparison to that offered at external pharmacies and drug stores. Our sophisticated Central Sterile Supplies Department (CSSD) caters to the sterilization needs of the entire hospital. The central kitchen maintains a high standard of hygiene and functions under the direct supervision of an experienced dietician. Other ancillary services include laundry and central gas station. A highly capable housekeeping team supervises the facilities related to the sanitation and general upkeep. The hospital has an advanced waste management system in place, which includes an incineration plant and a modern, state-of-the-art sewage treatment plant to handle bio-medical and other wastes In an eco-friendly, compatible and safe manner. Under the able guidance of the Department of Community Medicine, our medical students are educated comprehensively to take healthcare to the masses, through well planned and need to be based, quality-oriented outreach programs.
Our institution firmly believes that outreach healthcare programs and extension services covering the underserved regions are a part of the societal responsibilities and signify a boon to the community and society at large. True to its commitment to public health, MGMCRl conducts several medical camps every month for the benefit of the underprivileged rural population. In addition, we have an established Rural Health Centre at Seliamedu and an Urban Health Centre at Ariyankuppam. In appreciation of our healthcare services, the Government of Puducherry has allotted two Primary Health Centres, one at Kirumampakkam and the other at Nettapakkam.
Our well-rounded approach
Our full-fledged Hospital provides vast and varied clinical and study materials to our discerning students in order to foster exposure and provide suitable academic training along with in-depth knowledge and acumen for aiding in practical professional development. At MGMCRI,a strong emphasis has been laid on the implementation of the undergraduate medical curriculum involving bed-side clinical training. Early Clinical exposure, programs such as Health appraisal by rapid techniques and Clinical Research and Audit by Medical students humane eulogise the training imparted. Emphasis is on molding a complete physician who will cure the ‘patient’ and not just treat the ‘disease’. In addition, our students are taught to be competent and well-versed in conventional and advanced medical setups.