The history of the Anatomy Department dates back to the beginning of MGMC&Rl in 2001, started with a vision to train young aspiring students in the medical field to take care of the Health care system in and around Pondicherry. Presently the department imparts teaching and training programs in Human Anatomy to Medical, Dental, Nursing, M.Sc. students of Biochemistry and Microbiology, MD Anatomy, Allied Health Sciences, Bachelor of Physiotherapy & PhD courses under Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth (Deemed to be University). The department has ample faculty supported by well-trained paramedical personnel and a Medical Geneticist. The teaching staffs are not only efficient in teaching, but they are also equally good in research activities. Teaching is mainly student-centric and uses a mix of various methodologies for ensuring the achievement of the objectives in the knowledge, problem-solving, psychomotor and attitudinal domains. All faculty members have participated and attended National and Regional conferences and several workshops to update their knowledge and skills. All the present senior faculty members are approved postgraduate teachers and have vast experience as research guides. The department has a well-equipped Research lab with Trinoccular and stereoscopic microscope with micro-photographic attachment. The department is also an active collaborator and organizer of various cadaveric workshops for postgraduate training and skills training in surgical disciplines. It also provides services that include diagnostics in genetic disorders. There is an active Voluntary body donation program called “MOKSHA” since 2012.
- Active involvement of all faculties in Multidisciplinary research in Gross Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Medical Cytogenetics and Histogenesis.
- Faculty development and empowerment.
- Establishment of Fellowship courses in Clinical embryology.
- To develop 3D models and Plastination specimens in the museum.
- To be forefront in teaching and training Medical Undergraduates, Postgraduates, Nursing, BPT, and Allied Health science students.
- To enhance the Research in collaboration with Para-clinical and Clinical departments.